MATLAB Spoken Here

Results for: Preferences

MATLAB Startup Accelerator 2

Posted by Michael Katz,

Another new feature of MATLAB R2011b is the Startup Accelerator, which improves MATLAB startup time on Windows by caching important files that MATLAB needs to properly launch. This is done through a scheduled task that runs periodically to update the cache. In a normal installation of MATLAB, there is nothing... read more >>

MATLAB Toolbox Path Caching 3

Posted by Michael Katz,

One aspect of the MATLAB search path is the toolbox path cache. When your program calls a MATLAB function, the interpreter needs to know where to find the code associated with that function. Rather than scouring all the toolbox folders on your path each function call, MATLAB caches information about... read more >>

Downloading Keyboard Shortcut Sets in R2010b

Posted by Christina Roberts,

Configurable keyboard shortcuts were introduced in R2009b. By using the Keyboard Shortcut preference panel, it is possible to modify the desktop’s default keyboard shortcuts and save them as a custom set in an XML file format (select “Save As…” in the options menu next to the active settings drop-down). In R2010b,... read more >>

Automatic Variable Highlighting 19

Posted by Michael Katz,

Another new feature in the MATLAB R2010b Editor is the automatic highlighting of variable and subfunction names. Highlighting a variable or subfunction usage is easy, just click on any variable or subfunction name in the editor, and after a brief pause, all the usages of that variable or subfunction will... read more >>

New and Updated Features in MATLAB R2010b 11

Posted by Michael Katz,

Even though our 6-month releases are well scheduled, it always feels like they sneak up on me. Well, MATLAB R2010b is available now. There are lots of great new features in there, including a few I’m quite proud of. You’ll find the full release notes here. Below, I’ve called out... read more >>

Command-Line Preferences 4

Posted by Michael Katz,

I received some criticism regarding my post about using shell command because it wasn’t very Desktop-y. The way I see it, the MATLAB Environment includes a broader picture of everything going on around MATLAB, which includes not only the Desktop GUI but also operating system, and anything else you can... read more >>

Comparing Keyboard Shortcut Sets

Posted by Christina Roberts,

This week I’d like to welcome back guest poster, Christina Roberts, to describe R2010a enhancements to Keyboard Shortcut customization. We introduced the desktop keyboard shortcut manager in MATLAB R2009b. In R2010a, a couple of new features have been added to the preference panel to help you manage multiple keyboard shortcut sets. When... read more >>

The Preferences folder: matlab.prf 5

Posted by Michael Katz,

Continuing my discussion on the MATLAB Preferences folder, today’s article is about one particular file in that folder. (Remember you can find the folder location with the prefdir command). That file is matlab.prf, which stores the changes you’ve made to your preferences from the Preferences panel. This file is just... read more >>

R2009 in review 7

Posted by Michael Katz,

We’ve had a fantastic year with new and improved features in MATLAB R2009a and R2009b. Let’s take a walk down memory lane… On the MATLAB desktop 2009 was a big year for our power users. R2009b introduced customizeable keyboard shortcuts. Many actions from simple open, new, cut, and copy to more complex... read more >>

The Preferences Directory 3

Posted by Michael Katz,

There are lots of ways a computer program can store user settings. In MATLAB we use a series of different files in a special per-release directory that is in a standard platform-specific place on your disk. In Windows it's usually under the Profiles\user\Application Data directory and on linux under /home/user/.... read more >>

These postings are the author's and don't necessarily represent the opinions of MathWorks.