MATLAB Community

MATLAB, community & more

Results for: Uncategorized

Going Way Back with MATLAB Central 4

Posted by Ned Gulley,

You’re part of a long tradition. Communities don’t blossom in one night. MATLAB’s rich community has been growing steadily for many years, and today I want to give you an idea of just how long. I bet it’s longer than you think! I’m talking about history here because we want to celebrate the fact... read more >>

Happy Birthday MATLAB Central!

Posted by Ned Gulley,

MATLAB Central launched 15 years ago, in the fall of 2001, and it’s been growing fast ever since. I’ve had a front row seat for the entire show, and it’s been great fun. I’m writing this partly to share some of that history with you, and partly to say thanks.... read more >>

Flag Math on Bastille Day 7

Posted by Ned Gulley,

Let me start with a graphical riddle. In what sense is the following equivalence true? To learn the answer, read on! I recently came across Nick Higham’s fun post on one-liners in MATLAB. That piece and the approach of Bastille Day on July 14th made me think of another one-line program. image([3 2... read more >>

File Exchange Alert: Your Help Is Needed! 2

Posted by Ned Gulley,

Collaboration on software can be a lot of fun, but it can also be hard to motivate. For instance, you may be working on a project and you’d love some help, but you can’t get anyone else excited about your Interactive Polhode-Herpolhode Animator. Alternatively, you may be willing to help with... read more >>

Searching for MATLAB Examples with Google 6

Posted by Ned Gulley,

I want to show you a trick for finding entertaining MATLAB code. Of course I will always recommend that you start looking on the File Exchange or on Sean and Jiro’s awesome Pick of the Week or maybe the MATLAB Examples page. But after that there’s always Google and the great... read more >>

Soccer Passing Networks

Posted by Ned Gulley,

I saw another fun MATLAB-related tweet go by, this time about soccer rather than doughnuts. The Euro 2016 tournament is going on right now, and José Pedro Silva tweeted a cool MATLAB-generated visualization about passing between the players. This is showing the passing in the Portugal-Iceland match. https://twitter.com/ZPedro10/status/743115988581896192 The game resulted in... read more >>

National Jelly-Filled Doughnut Day

Posted by Ned Gulley,

National Doughnut Day was June 3rd. On that day, Sean Breckling was nice enough to tweet this to the universe of MATLAB users: https://twitter.com/BikeMath/status/738818666448314369 I sampled his code (below) and found it delicious, although it had a slight metallic taste (note the copper colormap). X = imread('sprinkles.jpg'); ... read more >>

A New Name, A New Focus

Posted by Ned Gulley,

This is the blog that used to be called “MATLAB Spoken Here.” When we gave it that name, we were thinking it would be a good place for general content and announcements… sometimes about community, sometimes about product. But ultimately that aim was a little too generic and unfocused. Today we... read more >>

Community Improvements: MATLAB Answers 1

Posted by Ned Gulley,

The Community Team has launched a new landing page for MATLAB Answers. MATLAB Answers is a popular community resource for people looking for solutions to their MATLAB and Simulink problems. There are over 160,000 questions asked and answered by people just like you. The new page makes it easier for... read more >>

MATLAB Conference Australia & New Zealand 2015

Posted by Ned Gulley,

This week’s blogger is Bradley Horton. Bradley is an engineer at MathWorks Australia who works with customers in the education area. He has spent the last 16 years helping clients adopt and implement MathWorks products over a broad range of application areas. Big, bold and beautiful – these aren’t the typical... read more >>