Stuart’s MATLAB Videos

Watch and Learn

Basics: Volume visualization: 1/9 Defining scalar and vector fields 10

Posted by Doug Hull,

This short video is the first of a series of nine that talks about volume visualization. Patrick gave this talk internally to help technical support engineers understand capabilities of MATLAB for volume visualization.

I like his slow, clear, methodical presentation with great visualizations. It is the first time I have deeply understood some of the volume visualization techniques we have. Sorry, Dr. H, but I really did not understand Div, Grad, Curl and all of that until Patrick explained it later in this series!

dhull replied on : 2 of 10

Good to hear that people are interested in this. It is quite a commitment of blog space to do this. Should I increase the pace during a series?

-Thanks!
Doug

JN replied on : 4 of 10

Should I increase the pace during a series?

Certainly! If the videos are already composed, may I suggest posting them to the FEx? Your readers will surely still come for the insightful comments.

JN

Good stuff Doug, I’d be in favor of a speedier series if there are 9 total, mainly so I don’t forget where the earlier videos left off.
-Zane

roya replied on : 6 of 10

Hi , I am interested if you can help me on how can I found functions in MATLAB.
I need to find difference between two surfaces.Is it possible to do it in MATLAB?
For example we have a sponge. I want to find difference between former sponge and after I put it in the water.There are two surfaces.
Tnx

dhull replied on : 7 of 10

@Roya,

What would it mean to find the difference between two surfaces? Please give a 3×3 example of the before and after sponge along with what the answer would be.

Doug

Muhammad Tauha Ali replied on : 8 of 10

very great video series. always have wondered, how these commands worked and what they REALLY showed.

katsumoto replied on : 9 of 10

Hi Patric,
Thanks for nice videos. In my case I have an array of measures from 3D space. My array is A=(7,7,7), each element is least negative value of the measured signal like (-0.77). In principle it is a vector, because I am measuring ultrasound signals in the water and as I get closer to the focal point the signal intensity increases but I don’t need to show the direction, I am just interested in the intensity of the signal in 3D space. I could not figure out how to use quiver3 or scatter3, or cane plot for visualizing my data. I would appreciate if you could help on this.