Stuart’s MATLAB Videos

Watch and Learn

MATLAB Code-Along Videos 6

Posted by Stuart McGarrity,

The next set of videos that I post, starting tomorrow, use a style similar to “code-along” videos. This style has been used to capture real-time software development in other languages (e.g. on Twitch TV) after it became popular with video game play capture. It includes all the mistakes, twists and turns, back tracking, and sometimes frustration of real-life development.

These videos will show me using MATLAB to solve a problem from start to finish, not knowing what the solution looks like when I start out. I did edit the videos for time more than is typically done for this style. However, the journey to a solution is still never a straight one, so these videos include:

• Mistakes: some of them pretty stupid, some of which are obvious immediately (as they cause errors) and some that are only discovered later. Can you spot them before I do?
  • Implementations that I worked on for a while only to find that they are a bad idea and needed to be scrapped in favor of an entirely new way
  • Looking up the documentation to find out how to use a feature
  • Copying snippets from existing code

The goal of these code-along videos is not primarily to teach MATLAB, but to show software development in a realistic “warts and all” way, and at the same time cover some MATLAB capabilities and features in the process.

This is an experiment. Maybe it’s a good idea. Maybe it’s a stupid idea. What do you think? I’m very curious to know, so please tell me in the comment section below. Your comments will help me decide if this is a one-time experiment or a regular occurrence.

BjornG replied on : 1 of 6

If I did something like this it would be an utterly moronic idea – cursing, errors, more cursing, idling, and then scrap the project for the day. That said: I can’t wait to watch you do this!

Stuart McGarrity replied on : 2 of 6

Ha! I’ll have to bleep out my cursing if things gets that bad. Hey, it can get that way for all of us.

Claudio Gelmi replied on : 3 of 6

You should try it! I would like to see real-time software development process from time to time. I think the code-along videos should have a greater impact if the audience tries to solve the problem first and then watch the video. Is there any possibility to publish the problem first and days later the video with the development of the solution?

Stuart McGarrity replied on : 4 of 6

I can look at doing that when the problem definition is clear and all the data required is public. For the first few topics I want to cover this is not the case.

CM replied on : 5 of 6

I am sorry to say that I do not like the “code along” style videos. I visit the Matlab blog website at work for quick tips and explanations of new features. I do not have time to watch a 30-60 minute video that includes less than 10 minutes of “real” material. I do not mind seeing one or two instances of the author catching their mistake, which may highlight common pitfalls. But sitting through an hour of them is tedious. I respectfully ask that you get away from the “code-along” style videos in your future posts in favor of the shorter, more direct, videos.

Stuart McGarrity replied on : 6 of 6

Hi Chris, Thanks for your feedback. I understand what you are saying, but as it says above, the goal of this style of video is not primarily to teach MATLAB features. Others do like this style, so I plan to continue to make them for now (but that may change). Currently half of my videos are code-alongs but the other half are 5-10 min tips and tricks; the type I believe you like. I recommend you skip the long ones and just watch the short ones (perhaps I will give them a Category too).