Stuart’s MATLAB Videos

Watch and Learn

Mouseover text to see original. Click the button below to return to the English version of the page.

Basics: Volume visualization: 1/9 Defining scalar and vector fields 12

Posted by Doug Hull,

This short video is the first of a series of nine that talks about volume visualization. Patrick gave this talk internally to help technical support engineers understand capabilities of MATLAB for volume visualization.

I like his slow, clear, methodical presentation with great visualizations. It is the first time I have deeply understood some of the volume visualization techniques we have. Sorry, Dr. H, but I really did not understand Div, Grad, Curl and all of that until Patrick explained it later in this series!

dhull replied on : 2 of 12
Good to hear that people are interested in this. It is quite a commitment of blog space to do this. Should I increase the pace during a series? -Thanks! Doug
JN replied on : 4 of 12
Should I increase the pace during a series? Certainly! If the videos are already composed, may I suggest posting them to the FEx? Your readers will surely still come for the insightful comments. JN
Zane replied on : 5 of 12
Good stuff Doug, I'd be in favor of a speedier series if there are 9 total, mainly so I don't forget where the earlier videos left off. -Zane
roya replied on : 6 of 12
Hi , I am interested if you can help me on how can I found functions in MATLAB. I need to find difference between two surfaces.Is it possible to do it in MATLAB? For example we have a sponge. I want to find difference between former sponge and after I put it in the water.There are two surfaces. Tnx
dhull replied on : 7 of 12
@Roya, What would it mean to find the difference between two surfaces? Please give a 3x3 example of the before and after sponge along with what the answer would be. Doug
Muhammad Tauha Ali replied on : 8 of 12
very great video series. always have wondered, how these commands worked and what they REALLY showed.
katsumoto replied on : 9 of 12
Hi Patric, Thanks for nice videos. In my case I have an array of measures from 3D space. My array is A=(7,7,7), each element is least negative value of the measured signal like (-0.77). In principle it is a vector, because I am measuring ultrasound signals in the water and as I get closer to the focal point the signal intensity increases but I don't need to show the direction, I am just interested in the intensity of the signal in 3D space. I could not figure out how to use quiver3 or scatter3, or cane plot for visualizing my data. I would appreciate if you could help on this.
Doug replied on : 10 of 12
@Katsumoto, We need more information to help. Please see https://www.mathworks.com/support.html.html Thanks Doug
Stuart McGarrity replied on : 12 of 12
Hi Sabrine, I'm afraid I do not know enough about vector fields to help. I suggest you post a question on MATLAB Answers or ask technical support. Good luck.