Guy on Simulink

Simulink & Model-Based Design

Explore your Models Easily with the Interface View 6

Posted by Guy Rouleau,

Today I want to introduce a new way to navigate models. This feature is available starting in R2014b: The interface display

Enabling Interface Display

In R2014b, you will notice a new entry at the top of the Display menu:

Interface Display Menu

For a model that originally looks like this:

Interface Display Standard

Enabling the interface display makes it look like this:

Interface Display Example

As you can see, this feature puts the emphasis on the inputs and outputs of the system.

Advantages of the Interface Display

For someone like me who receives new large Simulink models every day, this feature is very useful. When I explore new models, I can use the highlighting to trace sources and destinations of signals through multiple levels of nested subsystems. As you can see in the following animation, by zooming in, I can select one element of a bus signal and follow the highlighted signals to quickly find out where it is used.

Interface Display Example

Once the model has been simulated or updated once, the interface view displays for each port its data type and sample time, making it easier to understand the model.

Interface Display Example

One more thing to note. When in interface Display, you cannot edit the model. This is convenient when your goal is just to explore and understand the model without modifying it.

Now it's your turn

Give the new interface view a try and let us know what you think by leaving a comment here.

Han Geerligs replied on : 1 of 6

Hi Guy,

thanks for introducing this capability.

I’d like to see Global Data Stores to be shown in Interface View as well. Using this mechanism enables me to extend the model and it’s model references without changing the Port interface.

Adding this to the Interface view would really help me.

Are there any plans on adding this functionality?

–Han

Guy Rouleau replied on : 2 of 6

@Han, This is a very good point. you are not the first to request the Global Data store to be shown in the Interface View. We are working on making that happen as soon as possible.

Dan Brown replied on : 3 of 6

What about tracing a signal out from its source? Say I’m down 4 levels into a model and I want to find out where signal x is used?

Guy Rouleau replied on : 4 of 6

@Dan Brown: You are correct, selecting a signal, right-click and select Highlight to source or destination is another option to find where a signal comes from and where it is used. In Interface view, the result is similar, except that you do not need to right-click, just selecting a signal highlights it to its source and destinations.

Charlie Harrison replied on : 5 of 6

Hey Guy, I started looking into this new functionality and really enjoy it. I think its definitely a step in the right direction!

Pete Scotson replied on : 6 of 6

I like that I can see all a models inputs and outputs wherever they are in the model.
It would be useful to have some signal dependency tracing, like the “trace precedents/descendants” in Excel that goes beyond the source and destination blocks.